Friday 15 October 2010

Removing lens distortion from your artwork photos


I was looking at www.emptyeasel.com today and found the answer to a problem that’s been bugging me for a while. I’ve been looking at others art photos and wondering how they manage to get them looking so good without going to a professional photographer. Every time I try I end up with bowed edges due to the lens distortion, which I have to crop off. This tutorial shows you how to use free software GIMP to solve this problem and it looks so simple!! On a personal note I’ve also discovered that my camera has a white balance fix. Woohoo!!

I would highly recommend you drop by www.emptyeasel.com if you haven’t already as it’s full of really useful articles.

3 comments:

  1. I always wondered how to fix that without cropping half my painting! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for the reference to gimp, I have downloaded and installed it. It's more powerful than I need, but that doesn't stop it form being useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks I will. I know one thing you can do is stand away from your object and optically (not digitally) zoom in. This helps with the fish eye from the lens.

    ReplyDelete