Friday 1 October 2010

Goldilocks has been found!



I don’t blog about news very often but I was truly excited when I read on BBC news that astronomers have found an elusive Goldilocks planet. What does that mean? Well, a planet that is within a certain orbit and of a certain mass is said to be a Goldilocks planet, in other words just right for life. Gliese 581 is the first planet of this kind (other than our Earth) to be found and most excitingly it is likely have an atmosphere and liquid water. This makes it very likely that it may supports life in some form or another! We’re probably not talking little green men but even discovering another planet capable of supporting a shrub would be remarkable. What’s more Gliese 581 is only 20 light years away, in astronomical terms that is a tiny distance making it far more likely that Goldilocks planets are common as muck and that the universe is absolutely teeming with life!


Well, I’ll stop proving myself to be a complete nerd and leave this post there. If you would like to know more about this amazing discovery the attached video is very good.

3 comments:

  1. You blog isn't generally my first port of call for scientific information, but I had not heard of this discovery before. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL OMG! I was just on the NASA website before I jumped around to blogs! Your not the only nerd out there! I love this stuff, if I were smart enough I think I'd work at NASA :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad I'm not the only closet nerd around :)

    ReplyDelete