Sunday 12 June 2011

Priestess – Acrylic


It’s been a rainy old day in Swindon so I decided that it would be the perfect day to give Acrylic a go.


I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect from this medium, so I decided that I wouldn’t waist a canvas but instead use some heavy CP paper. I made a few changes to the Priestess character I drew earlier and used this as it’s a relatively simple design that I could do quickly. Although I possibly should have remembered how much I hate trying to paint skin tone when I made this decision!

As it turned out I need not have been so cautious, I absolutely LOVE acrylic. I’ve always had a bit of a love hate relationship with painting on the whole. I can’t stand oils and while I like using watercolours they can’t give me the look that I really would like to achieve and that frustrates me. Today even thought I was only “playing” I found that it was so easy to get my idea down on paper and after a bit of practice I can definitely see myself using acrylics in most of my work. I love the fact that it allows me to finish a painting in a day (4 hours in this case) while I still have all my enthusiasm and ideas chasing themselves around my head (and being able to just paint over mistakes is a definite advantage!)

1 comment:

  1. How interesting Tessa. I have wanted to try out Acrylics for some time now but have never got around to it.
    Love the painting. You have inspired me to try it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete